Charles has a JD from Cornell University and a BA from the University of Rochester. As Partner and Co-Chair of O'Melveny & Myers Sports Industry Group, Charles has been able to utilize his extensive experience in the fields of mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital transactions in the fields he is most passionate about: sports, media, entertainment and the consumer sectors.
While not busy growing the firm’s practice, Charles is an active lecturer - appearing at private industry events around the world and speaking to numerous educational institutions, including recently Harvard Law School, and the Wharton School of Business at the University of Pennsylvania. Charles has played a key advisory role in several acquisitions of major sports teams.
- Extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions, private equity and venture capital in sports, media, entertainment and consumer sectors
- Currently Partner and Co-Chair of O’Melveny & Myers’ Sports Industry Group
Sports Industry Expertise (Notable Transactions)
- eSports company ReKTGlobal, Inc. in their acquisition of substantially all assets of Rogue Sports, Inc., a Steve Aoki-backed, Las Vegas-based eSports organization with teams in the Overwatch, CS:GO, Call of Duty, H1Z1, and Vainglory leagues
- Private equity investors in connection with controlling acquisition of LA FC, Major League Soccer franchise formerly known as Chivas USA
- Owners of Atlanta Hawks in auctioned sale of NBA team and operating rights to Philips Arena
- Atlanta Falcons owner, Arthur M. Blank, in the acquisition of the Atlanta United Football Club
- The University of Miami School of Law course: Purchase & Sale of a Minor League Baseball Team
Role at Athleta-Ed
- Provide support for developing strategic partnerships / relationships within the sports industry
- Introductions to pro teams and leagues
- Provide support for developing strategic partnerships / relationships within the education sector