As CEO of Horrow Sports Ventures (www.horrowsports.com), Rick has been the architect of 100+ deals worth more than $20 billion in sports, performing arts, and other urban infrastructure projects.
Rick pioneered the public/private partnership and infrastructure branding concepts that, to date, has enticed more than $4 billion in corporate funding to cities and development projects. Besides developing stadia and arenas, Rick’s ability to put together many urban initiatives into one package for voter approval has resulted in the building of new performing arts and convention centers, schools, libraries, transit projects, and tourist destinations—most recently, a quality of life development package approved by El Paso voters.
A popular speaker, writer and commentator on the business, law, and politics of sports, he is nicknamed “The Sports Professor” because he has been Visiting Expert on sports law at The Harvard Law School, where he received a law degree alongside Chief Justice of the Supreme Court John Roberts, his roommate. Rick is author of When The Game Is On The Line, an autobiographical examination of the people and politics behind mega sports deals, and co-author of Beyond the Scoreboard: An Insider’s Guide to the Business of Sport.
In addition to providing regular sports business content to Bloomberg Radio and penning a weekly column for Yahoo! Finance, Rick hosts a monthly national television show carried by Fox Sports regional networks, “The Power of Sports.” His “Keeping Score” podcast and blog are keystones of Thomson Reuters sports business coverage; Rick also files weekly segments for NBC Sports Network and Golf Channel.
Rick’s clients have included the NFL, NHL, Major League Baseball, PGA Tour, NASCAR, Great White Shark Enterprises (Greg Norman), Ladies Professional Golf Association, Major League Soccer, General Sports Venue/AstroTurf, Citrix, Cisco Systems, CA, Guggenheim, Globecast, Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Golden Bear International (Jack Nicklaus), Portland Trail Blazers, Indianapolis Colts, Baltimore Orioles, Cleveland Indians, San Francisco Giants, New York Mets, and the State of West Virginia.
- Extensive experience in mergers and acquisitions in sports, stadium development, public/private partnerships and media
- Over 40 years in the sports industry with networks at the highest levels in all the major sports leagues
- Media personality with sports business shows on Fox, Bloomberg and NBC; author of several sports business books with 2019 release of How to Get Ahead in Sports Business with contributions from 100 leaders from the sports industry
Role at Athleta-Ed
- Support with the development and execution of strategic plans
- Make introductions to sports leagues and teams
- Support with course creation by providing guidance on sports business content