Rodney is currently the Associate Director of San Jose State University’s Institute for the Study of Sport, Society and Social Change. He is also the principal at Knox Strategies, LLC. a marketing-communications consulting firm with clients in Oregon and California. Additionally, Rodney recently served as an adjunct instructor for the Pamplin School of Business Administration at the University of Portland.
Rodney served as Director of Communications for Team Sports (football, basketball and baseball) for Nike, Inc. from 2003-2009; and Running (2009-2013). At Nike, he was responsible for overseeing the company’s multi-level marketing-communications product launches for signature athletes and innovation platforms. Rodney worked closely with Nike's executive staff on marketing-communications plans targeting media and consumers.
Prior to working for Nike, Rodney served as the Sr. Director of Marketing & Communications for the San Francisco 49ers. In that role he managed the majority of the team’s brand identity departments, including Branding, Marketing, Sponsorships, Public Relations and Community Affairs. During his time with the Niners the team claimed four World Championship, produced seven NFL Hall of Fame players and a Hall of Fame head coach. Prior to his tenure with San Francisco, Rodney was Public Relations Assistant Director with the San Diego Chargers.
Rodney has over 25 years of varied experience in Integrated Marketing-Communications and Brand Management. He holds a Master's degree in Sports Management from the University of San Francisco, and Bachelor's degree in Communications from San Diego State University. Rodney brings teaching experience from the San Jose State University, where he was the instructor of a course on sports, media and society. Additionally, he served as an adjunct instructor at Menlo College and the University of San Francisco, where he taught graduate level Marketing-Communications courses.
- Communications-marketing executive, entrepreneur and educator
- Expertise in media maximization, brand development & management and life-skills tools
- Communications-marketing leadership roles in NFL, Nike and higher education
Role at Athleta-Ed
- Support with the development of Athleta-Ed brand and communications strategy
- Support with the development and execution of strategic plans
- Make introductions to sports teams and college athletic departments
- Support with course creation by providing guidance on sports business content